Empowering Women Programs
- Stories of girls being taken out of school to work in order to fund their brothers’ education, stories of girls not reporting rape for fear that no-one will then marry them, and girls being sold to provide much needed money for the rest of their family to survive are all too frequent.
- According to a recent report, one in five men in Cambodia has committed rape with nearly 16 per cent committing the crime while under the age of 15. The study found a correlation between level of education and sexual violence.
- A recent report estimates that 30% of sex workers in Cambodia are less than 18 years of age. For those girls who are poor and potentially vulnerable, they are easy targets for traffickers, unaware of the dangers that lurk behind promises of good employment. They are a living testimony to the link between lack of education and vulnerability. Tourism is still growing rapidly in Siem Reap– unfortunately, so too is the sex trafficking industry.
HOW WE ADDRESS IT
- Through our Empowering Women Programs we provide morality development lessons which aims to teach the importance of respect, culture, health and hygiene, human rights, self-respect, compassion and empathy, sexual exploitation and trafficking awareness for older students. The focus is also on equal opportunities for girls and boys, young people, their parents and the elderly.
- We provide free education which keeps the girls in school longer. With quality education we will empower young women to play their full role in society and build stronger families, communities and democracies.
WITH YOUR SUPPORT
We can reduce widespread endemic domestic violence, exploitation and abuse of women and children, and lack of family and social responsibility.
- US$100 supports a community training session for families which addresses morality, health and social/community issues and problem-solving activities.
- US$120 is able to provide a 3-year birth control program and ongoing counseling/education support for four woman
Every dollar makes a difference!